The General Application Process
Applying to VUIM is easy! The following materials are required (at minimum) for all students who apply to an Acupuncture or Oriental Medicine program at VUIM:
1) A completed Application for admission
2) Non-refundable application fee
3) Essay/Statement of Purpose
4) Official transcripts from all institutions where a degree has been earned; A 3rd party course by course evaluation will be required for all foreign degrees earned where English was not the language of instruction. Students may utilize any NACES or AICE member. In rare cases, other reputable 3rd party evaluation services may be accepted at the discretion of the Dean.
5) Copy of Photo ID
7) Proof of English proficiency
VUIM reserves the right to interview any candidate for admissions, to properly evaluate the prospective students’ candidacy, when necessary.
Please note that additional requirements may exist for individual programs. For more information please see the Admissions Requirements page for your individual program.
International Students and English language proficiency
If any of the education was completed outside of the US, at a college or university not accredited by an agency recognized by the department of education, a third-party course by course evaluation will be required for each degree. Prospective students may utilize any third-party member of NACES.org or AICE.org. Additionally, prospective students can choose to have VUIM process this request through an approved third-party vendor for a fee.
English proficiency can be demonstrated in the following ways (see program-specific requirements for scores and additional details):
- 1. TOEFL iBT exam (My Best exam scores are acceptable)
- Masters Level Programs – Score: 61 Total (speaking score of 20, listening score of 17)
- Doctoral Level Programs – Score: 80
- 2. IELTS exam
- Masters Level Programs – Score: 6.0 (speaking band 6.5)
- Doctoral Level Programs – Score 6.5
- 3. Completion of a two-year degree (60 semester or 90 quarter credits) at the baccalaureate or masters level, at an accredited US college or University in the US, or at a college or university in the United Kingdom, Australia, Canada (not including Quebec), New Zealand, or Ireland
- In all cases, English must be the language of instruction and curriculum
Additional International Student Requirements
The requirements below are in addition to meeting all of the general admissions requirements.
- Original Bank statement (showing evidence of $25,000 or more in the account, no more than 3 months old)
- Statement of financial support (if financial support is provided by someone other than self)
- Valid passport
- SEVIS payment
- I-20, VUIM transfer document (applicable only to Visa transfer requests)
Non-matriculated students interested in taking individual courses are eligible to apply. The application process requires that students meet the corresponding program’s admissions requirements and all course prerequisites.
Students who enroll in a non-matriculated program are bound to the same standards of conduct, etc. as matriculated students and must not adversely affect the quality of instruction.
1) Non-matriculated students interested in taking individual courses should submit the application for “non-matriculated students program”. Please select the Master of Science in Acupuncture program when prompted.
2) Applications will be reviewed based upon minimum standards for admission into the corresponding master’s level program.
NEW PROSPECTIVE STUDENT CONSIDERATIONs
The information below is an estimate of the expected processing time for each item.
- 1. Official transcripts (domestic) – 2-4 weeks
- 2. Official transcripts (international) – 4 weeks or more
- 3. Third-party international course by course evaluations – approximately 2-3 weeks if completed internally
- 4. International student Visa processing – 8 weeks or more
- 5. International student Visa transfer – 1-2 weeks
- 6. Full application process (domestic) – 3-4 weeks
- 7. Full application process (international) – 10+ weeks
|Fall 2022||Winter 2023|
Admissions staff are available Monday to Friday, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm daily to answer your questions. Please email us at email@example.com.